Do you take credit/debit card payments?

Yes, the Village Office does currently accept credit card payments at the Utility Counter in office.  We take Mastercard, Visa and Debit Card cards.  However, there is a 3% charge added to the transaction that is charged by the bank.

When is the Village Office open?

Our office is open Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The Village Office only observes the following major holidays:  New Years Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.

We WILL BE OPEN on the following Federal Holidays:  Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Columbus Day and Veteran's Day.

Building & Zoning Permits

I would like to put up a shed on my property, do I need a Building and Zoning Permit for that?

The answer is Yes you need a Zoning Permit.  The Zoning Enforcement Officer needs to make sure that the placement of your shed does not conflict with property lines or utility easements.  If you do not obtain a Zoning Permit before placing your shed, you may have to move your shed to be in compliance with Zoning Regulations.

You will also need a Building Permit from Shelby County if you plan on running electric or plumbing to your shed.

I am going to put a Swimming Pool in my backyard, do I need a Building and Zoning Permit for that?

Yes, a Building Permit is required for Pools that are over 24 inches (24") deep.  Every person owning land on which there is a swimming pool, which contains twenty-four inches (24") or more of water in depth at any point, shall erect and maintain an adequate enclosure surrounding around either the property or swimming pool area, sufficient to make the body of water inaccessible to small children.

Yes, you must also obtain a Zoning Permit for Private Residential Swimming Pools.  The Zoning Enforcement Officer needs to make sure that the placement of your swimming pool does not conflict with property lines, utility easements and that it has a 48 inch (48") fencing enclosure around it.  

Any person violating any provision of these Zoning Regulations shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than $100.00.  Each and every day during which such violation continues may be deemed a separate offense.

I would like to put a fence up on my property, do I need a Zoning / Building Permit for this?

Yes, installation of fencing on a property must be approved by the Zoning Enforcement Officer to make sure that the placement of the fence does not conflict with property lines, utility easements and Zoning Regulations.

What improvements do I have to obtain a Zoning / Building Permit for?

All new buildings and structures, alterations, additions, remodeling, demolition, changes in use or other activities connected to construction or development require a Zoning / Building Permit.  

What improvements do not require a Zoning / Building Permit?

The following items do not require a Zoning / Building Permit:  Siding, re-roofing, landscaping, painting/wallpapering, and storm/screen windows and doors.

For more information about Zoning / Building Permits, please visit our webpage at www.jacksoncenter.com/government/zoning-regulations


When and what time are Council Meetings?

Regular Council Meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the evening in Council Chambers.  If the regular meeting date falls on a Holiday, council members may decide to reschedule or cancel the meeting.  The Council Chamber entrance is located on the east side of the Village Office Building (Linden Street) through the glass door.

Can anyone come to the council meetings?

Council Meetings are open to the public, anyone may attend the meetings.  If you would like to speak to the Mayor and Council during a Council Meeting, please call the Village Office at 937-596-6314 and request to be added to the agenda for the next meeting.

Parks and Recreation

I would like to have a Pool Party, how do I do that?

The Village Swimming Pool is available for Pool Parties during the week and weekend from 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.  Simply call the Village Office at 937-596-6314 to reserve the pool for a specific date.  We will not reserve and hold the date until the $200.00 fee has been paid.  Pool parties can be up to 100 people and you can bring in your own grills, food, coolers, lawn chairs etc.  However, there cannot be any glass or alcoholic beverages.  We do ask that you dispose of your trash in the recepticles at the pool and not leave trash on the ground.  Trash can get into the pool and clog up the filters causing major problems.

I would like to reserve a shelter house, how do I do that?

The Shelter Houses in the park are first come first serve.  However, if you would like to reserve a Shelter House for a specific date; simply call the Village Office at 937-596-6314 and request that a shelter house be reserved for a specific date.  Our personnel will put a sign on the Shelter House on that day to show that it is being reserved for you.

Can you fish in the municipal park pond and do you need a finshing license?

Yes you can fish in the municipal park pond at your own risk, and according to the ODNR, a fishing license is required.

What are the hours of the park?

The park hours are from dawn to 10:00 p.m.


Can I transfer my Utility Deposit from my current rental property to my new rental property?

No, Utility Deposits cannot be transferred from one property to another.  When you disconnect your utilities from your current rental property, the account is finaled out.  This means that a utility worker goes out and reads the meter on the day you give us for disconnection.  That reading is given to the Utility Clerk so that she can bill you for the utility usage through the date of disconnection.  Your utility deposit is applied to this final bill.

Therefore, when you sign up for utilities for a different rental, you will need to pay a $300 Utility Deposit for the new rental property.  The Utility Deposit has been set at $300 to protect the Village and Landlords from renters that move out and leave utility bills unpaid.

What happens if I don't pay my Utility Bill by the 15th?

A 10% penalty on utilities will be applied to your balance.  On the morning of the 16th we apply all of the payments that are in our drop box (located on the front of our building) and all payments that are in our post office box.  If we have not received your payment by 10:00 A.M. on the 16th, penalties will be applied to your balance.  If the 15th falls on Saturday or Sunday, we will apply penalties on any account that we have not received payment on at 10:00 A.M. the Monday following the weekend payment was due.

If a utility bill remains unpaid by the end of the month with no attempt to make arrangements with the Utility Office to pay the balance; utilities will be shut off on unpaid accounts.  Before utilities can be turned back on, the unpaid balance plus a reconnect fee must be paid.

What if I can't pay my Utility Bill?

If you cannot pay your Utility Bill by the 15th, please call the Village Office at 937-596-6314 and make arrangements to get an extension until you will have funds to pay your bill or to set up a payment plan to get your bill paid in a timely manner.

The Village will accept payments from HEAP (Home Energy Assistance Program).  We have applications available in the office or online.  We also have a list of organizatins that may help you with part of your utility bill payment.  Please visit our website by clicking on this link for more information about HEAP and Places of Assistance:  www.jacksoncenter.com/utilities/heap-places-assistance

What if my electric goes out?

Please call the Village of Jackson Center Emergency Line at 937-596-6353.  You will be put into our voicemail system and will need to choose if this is an electric emergency, water emergency or sewer emergency.  Please choose the correct option.  Once you leave a message, the voicemail system alerts the utility worker on call to the problem.